Upgrade Guide and FAQ for Linear version 2.x and 3.x eMerge Customers
Linear is providing this upgrade guide for our customers who currently have Linear eMerge version 2.x and 3.x systems, especially for those who are interested in upgrading or expanding their current systems.
Linear is offering a new version eMerge 50 and 5000, (called eMerge 50P and eMerge 5000P). The latest “P” series continues to utilize all application blades common to our version 2.x and 3.x models (e.g. ACMs, temperature blades, input blades, and output blades). In addition, the expansion nodes (EXN) and node boards are also compatible with all models. The latest version 4.x controller is backward-compatible for all field hardware.
To order the “P” Series eMerge, use the following Linear part numbers:
eMerge 50P Part Number = 230219P
eMerge 5000P Part Number = 230220P
eMerge 50P/5000P Key Features / Specifications (.pdf)
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why is Linear no longer selling eMerge50 and eMerge5000 version 2.x and 3.x systems?
A: Many of the components that made up the version 2.x and 3.x controller, including the primary processor, are no longer being made by the component manufacturers. Therefore, we can no longer continue to carry these older 2.x and 3.x version controllers.
Q: What are the key differences between the new “P” Series eMerge and the older versions?
A: The eMerge 50P and 5000P offer a number of advanced features not available in the version 2.x and 3.x systems, including more memory, 3x faster transaction rates, IP camera integration and viewing on all models, and optional integrated video storage.
The “P” Series systems are also built into a slightly smaller enclosure to help reduce the wall space consumed. This enclosure houses the primary controller board, and offers a separate slot for the first node board, and space for up to 4 additional application blades. (NOTE: The combo controller/node card is no longer used in the “P” Series.) This new “P” Series system allows for a maximum of 8 doors in the main controller enclosure. For comparison, our legacy models, held up to 7 application blades for a total of 14 doors.
Q: Do I need to upgrade my existing 2.x or 3.x system?
A: Upgrading your systems is not mandatory, however, to take advantage of the faster processing and transaction rates, plus the modern icon-based user interface, now may be an ideal time to do an upgrade to your 2.x and 3.x version systems. Also, if you are looking to upgrade your system with enhanced features that you previously did not have, such as badging, or video integration, you will need to perform an upgrade of your 2.x or 3.x system first.
Q: Can customers just migrate to the new e3 eMerge Essential system instead of upgrading to the version 4.x?
A: Yes, absolutely. This is a cost-effective solution for customers with 4 doors or less. The readers and locks can be left in place, as they’ll work fine with the e3 eMerge Essential platform. Click here to learn more about the e3 eMerge Essential access system.
Additional Upgrade & Conversion Notes:
- To upgrade systems utilizing anti-pass back, use Linear Part # 620-100384 (Combo Board Replacement Kit 5000)
- If a customer’s system requires or has more than 140 doors, please order Takeover Kit Linear Part # 620-100387, along with an additional 52-door license, Linear Part # 620-100346, to satisfy the amount of doors needed to fully upgrade the customer’s system (Note: The 52-door license brings the capability of the system to a maximum of 192 doors).
- To add a badging license for the new 5000P model, order Linear Part # 620-100389.
- Please note that any system covered under warranty is at Linear’s discretion to replace with new or reworked controller boards.
eMerge “P” Series Advantages
- The 4.X version of software provides upgraded database management capabilities for superior reliability
- Transaction rates are up to 3X times faster
- 4 GB memory (2x more memory than legacy models)
- Icon-based graphical user interface (GUI)
- Identical programming as legacy systems with the addition of enhanced setup wizards
- 100% backwards-compatible hardware (application & expansion boards)
- IP camera view capability on all models
- Optional integrated video storage add-on with tagging and review for both models